This map is interactive. Click on a feature name or number for details
1.) Big Burnt:
Big Burnt is the largest state-owned island, at 30 acres. Blueberries grow in abundance over the island. Big Burnt may have received its name from the practice employed by Native Americans who would ignite forest fires to clear land for agriculture. Blueberries grow very well on burned sites.
James Fenimore Cooper’s book, The Last of the Mohicans, has left a lasting impression on Lake George. Uncas Island bares the name of Chief Uncas, a hero from the novel. The state-owned island is six acres and contains fourteen campsites.
Turtle Island is a state-owned island with 33 campsites. It is very close to the western shore of the Point of Tongue Mountain, also known as Montcalm Point. The islands close proximity to land accounts for a variety of wildlife visitors; such as, raccoons, deer, even the occasional black bear or timber rattlesnake. Don’t worry! There have been no reported deaths occurring from rattlesnakes in this region.
In 1885, 154 islands were included into the Lake George Forest Preserve, including Glen Island. In 1921, Glen Island was chosen to be the headquarters for the Department of Environmental Conservation. Camping and day-use permits are still issued here.
In 1992, a storm uprooted a massive 80-foot white pine tree that grew on Ship Island. The tree resembled the mast of a ship, helping to give the island its name. Since then, wind, ice, and wave erosion have taken their toll on this small state-owned island.
Oahu Island is a privately owned island at the mouth of the Narrows. It is one of 30 islands the state sold before the 1876 law that forbid the state from selling any Lake George island. Oahu is one of many names that the island has had over the years. Former names were Flore, Flea, Floa and Bellinger Island.
12.) Fourteen Mile:
This privately owned island is actually 11 miles from Lake George Village. Its name origin is unknown and speculative. Fourteen Mile Island is very close to the eastern shore of the lake below Shelving Rock. Some refer to the narrow stretch of water between the island and the shore as Lover’s Lane.
13.) Hen and Chicks:
Hen and Chicks Island is the only island in Lake George to ever be struck by a plane. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. No one is quite sure where the name is derived from. Maybe chickens were raised there or because there is one large island and many smaller islands around it, much like a hen with her chicks. It is part of the Lake George Forest Preserve.
According to Greek Mythology, Erebus was a place of darkness on the way to Hades. Yikes! Nestled between Black Mountain and Sleeping Beauty it offers little views from its mostly wooded peak.